Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Bachelorette Morning

For the most part, my mornings without Jacob are similar to what they used to be before there was a morning companion (ok, and before I traded my steady day-job for consulting and freelance work, but you get the idea): I get up and make coffee, watch the today show and either get to work or the first appointment. Today, however, I started off the day by lounging in bed a little late and finishing off my latest read: The Blind Side.


Oh. My. Gosh. When my mom recommended this book, she said, "Annie! I picked up this book in the airport and you have to read it! It starts with the same quote (at the beginning) as the movie and it ends with a quote...FROM DWIGHT FREENEY!" In case you haven't read the profile, I'm a huge NFL fan and not even just that, a huge Indianapolis Colts, my hometown team, fan. Dwight Freeney's was the jersey my dad wore most recently, and that my husband wore at his first ever NFL game (Jacob was required to have name, college - Syracuse, position - the defensive end otherwise known as SACK, and basic info down - NFL's scary spinning sack machine will suffice - before he was allowed to wear the jersey).

I know the book's about Michael Oher - and his story is worth a read for sure. It's uplifting and encouraging, and it's just plain feel-good. I'm a God-fearin' woman, so seeing the Lord's work in this family was stunning and inspiring, but I also have to say, Michael Lewis, the author, does a tremendous job of detailing the development of defense in the NFL over the last 30 years. It's a fascinating read on the level of biography on Michael Oher (and to a degree the Tuohy family) AND the NFL itself in certain ways. Don't worry, if you aren't a football fan, there's enough to keep you going to through the stat-packed chapters discussing Bill Walsh's passing strategies. Think about it.

And now that I've had my neanderthal football moments...I'm headed to yoga.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the movie!!! i am sure sam and i both would love the book. you may have inspired me to get it

    ReplyDelete