Monday, June 14, 2010

Home is where...

Just as Jacob and I got engaged nearly two years ago, his family experienced a bit of a material tragedy. I say material because no one was injured, but the family house burned in an accident. Though some of my darling's collection of mementos and a couple of Moroccan rugs were taken up in the blaze, the important things were spared, ie family members and the basic structure of the house. They moved out to a temporary apartment and then a rental house and eventually back into the reconstructed (and redesigned) home.

We have lived a parallel existence in a way. During the time that we were packed up and living abroad, they were packed up and living in temporary quarters. But now, they are unpacked and settled in and we are...still packed up.

I remember a card that someone got them posted on the fridge. It said,

Check out Curly Girl designs from The Good Life company for more designs like this!

As I paw through the next share of potential homes in our next destination town, I'm thinking about all the things that I'll be unpacking that might make our house more of a home - dishes (a set large enough for a dinner party), a waffle iron (that one's for the husband) for Saturday morning breakfasts, familiar furniture...but even more, I know I'll be taking my heart - oh, and my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment