Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cool as a cucumber

My ever-culinarily-enterprising sister in law started a garden this year and as I was pulling out of the driveway to return to Cleveland, she came high stepping out of the yard with a prize: one of her cucumbers.

Having just eaten a fab meal that included her homegrowns in a gorgeous cucumber salad, I was inspired and fixed one up for Jacob and me last night. What a divine summer food!

I wish I could say I brought the cucumber straight home, but to be quite honest, the days between the drive and the salad were punctuated with a couple of mary poppins-esque episodes of pulling a cucumber out of a purse. How odd. Nonetheless the salad was delicious!

The recipe I used was a mix of a couple online and it could still probably use some tweaking, but here we go (maybe if we're lucky, Monica can add two cents on her version!):

6-8 oz. of Greek plain yogurt
2 cucumbers, sliced and peeled (or not - the skin is good for you and adds some crunch, I like it)
Salt, to taste
2t white vinegar
1t garlic, crushed (a clove or so)
1 1/2 t dill (dried)
ground pepper, to taste

Prep cucumbers and put in a colander. Salt and drain for 10 minutes.

While draining, put yogurt in a bowl and whisk until smooth (just a couple of rounds), then whisk in other ingredients. Add cucumbers and fold in, chill and serve. Salt if more is desired. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. haha you are so sweet! Cucumber salad would also be good with sour cream :) But, yes the skin can be bitter sometimes so make sure you peel most of it off.

    ReplyDelete