Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Window Shopping

Upon recent invitation from a friend, I signed up to receive membership (read: promotional emails) from a couple of web sites that sell designer season-old shrug-offs for major discounts. There are so many beautiful things and I'd love to spend at least a few (ok, many) of my dollars on: a Nanette Lepore skirt or maybe something tiny from LaPerla or even some hand-engraved cards or jewelry, heaven forbid. The fact is, we're not spending money on rent right now, let alone luxury items.


I don't say this to complain because even back in the "big money" single girl days, buying something like that would still be the exception, rather than the rule, I say this because I am amazed that people can just plop down $1K on a dress or undies or jewelry for an impulse buy.

You may say, 'it's not necessarily an impulse buy,' but that's the whole structure. The sales are designed to drive you to action - they are exclusive, there are limited quantities, discounted prices and - time limits! If you think that you'll just take a moment to check the balance sheet before buying the bag, you'll return to find a nasty little sold out label on the item's pic. You may even find the sold out items reappearing at the bottom of the page by the time you finish scrolling to the bottom when they were still available when you started.

It's ingenious! And staggering, I must say. Who are these people who can buy this
before I even have time to finish my daydream about it? Well, there's always the wait list.

No comments:

Post a Comment