Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fete Accompli & Paris Previews

It was just about this time last year I got a call from my mom.

Jacob and I had just returned from a weekend in Indy to celebrate the long weekend and my birthday. It was, admittedly, evaluatory for my then-beau. My mom, brother, grandparents, best friend, as much family as could be assembled and all the guys my dad was friends with were brought to mom's house to "meet the boyfriend."

Despite having already sojourned from South Carolina to meet up with me in Lexington and suffering from a monster cold, Jacob made a good showing in Indy.

But when mom called the week after and asked me, "What did Jacob get you for your birthday?", I still felt like I had to shore up the support and defend him a bit. "Oh," I said. "He's more of an event person. He probably has something planned for the next time he comes up." Mom seemed to be a little incredulous, but I was pretty sure he had something going on.

More on my birthday story last year (for those who don't already know) later, but right now I'm going to elaborate more on this year's event by posting a few pics from the Paris leg of my birthday (and our romantic) trip:
One of my very favorite things in Paris was the Fat Tire bike tour. It was 7 miles of biking around sights and hearing all the interesting history and backgrounds from a hilarious guide. Touristy: definitely, goofy: maybe, FUN: yes!
Me and my Diana (the camera) on the Champs de Mars in front of the Eiffel Tower where Jacob and I planned some sights and relaxed with, what else, baguettes and brie.
Ok, I skipped the Louvre. I just couldn't do it. Too many people, too much hubub, too much fussy fuss. Maybe next time. But, the Musee d'Orsay? Breathtaking.

You know what else is breaktaking? Or maybe I should say who, because the answer is: my husband.

3 comments:

  1. what did Jacob do for your last birthday? I had a birthday the week after we got engaged and Nate totally forgot until about 5 PM when I burst into tears. (he had known when it was--it just escaped him the day OF) Anyway, it makes for a good story now! Poor Nate! The next year he showered me with gifts :) Love the france pics, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Looks amazing! When did you get a diana? I have been wanting one...I got your email and will write back very soon. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget. I already knew his intentions after our late night, top secret, hush-hush summit. My incredulity was that he was taking so darn long.......mom

    ReplyDelete