Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Taweel and Causeer of it (The Long and Short of it)

The Hardy Heyday

I was followed around and then propositioned at Carrefour (the grocery, essentially) last night.

In the toy section.

By an Arab man who was shopping with his wife and kids who were in the next aisle.

Gross! And I thought these types of come-ons were like urban-gulf-myths!

I called on my Arabic to rebuff him, and then called on some of my friends (mostly girlfriends who have been here longer and experienced this situation before) for a few laughs.

I used to be good at eviscerating crude and inappropriate men, but it's different here, being in this culture - and being a woman, so I've asked a few of my Arab girlfriends, and other girlfriends who have experienced this apparently very common occurance. They unanimously said to loudly proclaim ("so they many hear you") that this was a bad thing (!) and that you were going to go to the police RIGHT NOW and report him ("You say things too loud so you frighten them very much and God shame them")!

I knew I liked these girls for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment