Monday, June 1, 2009

Pigging Out -or- Bacon Bender

Daily Report
Sunny, 115

Many of you know that, in Muslim countries, bacon is basically banned. You can get it, of course, but it's a slightly black-market-like affair that makes you feel like, in Jacob's words, "you're sneaking into the liquor store before you're old enough to buy contraband."




I suppose he's right, but boundary to boundary, it's harder to find a store that will offer a "strictly non-Muslim" storefront in addition to it's normal operations in this country (actually, there isn't a store where we live in Oman, we have to cross the border to the UAE) than it is to find the sleepy cashier at the suburban grocery who'll sneak you the schnapps (or so I hear).



Well, until I made my first entry into the sanctum, I didn't realize how much I missed the other white meat. There were some failed attempts at constructions with turkey bacon, but it hit me when I walked into Choithram what I (we, Jacob's been on a recipe request rampage) was missing...I felt like Bubba from Forrest Gump as the possibilities whirled through my head.



Green beans with bacon, bacon and eggs, chicken and chorizo, sausage patties, sausage gravy, ham biscuits...you get the point.



And just in case you didn't...

No comments:

Post a Comment