Sunday, May 31, 2009

Goodnight, Moon

Daily Report
Sunny, 120

I love to consult a crescent moon, but for different reasons than for those the lunar sliver is regarded here. To Muslims, the moon is more than a calendar, its a signal of the sacred. Holy times, such as the end of Ramadan, are determined by when the moon makes its appearance. They wait to see the sign of the moon to tell them something new about their seasons of fasting, prayer, celebration.

For me, the crescent moon has always held answers to ponderings on the world. I love the crescent moon, especially the one that is so fine that the sunlight illuminating it's profile reaches all the way around to form a faint but perfect orb. I imagine, as I see the rays reflecting on the moon, the days that are going on elsewhere in the world while I sit and ponder the night.

The light of someone else's day lights our night every time the moon is shown. I used to watch it, dreaming and wondering about what that day was like, where it was that for my moonlight, someone else was seeing day break.

Now I watch the moon, my crescent moon, and I think about the days I know are happening on the other side of the world. It's now my life, my family, my friends, whose day brightens my night. It's wonderful and at the same time wrenching to gaze up at the sky right after dinner and just before bedtime and bid my life, my people, my moon...goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. I am a little tearful for you, right now. However, I know there are many peoples days, who wish they were a part of your night!!!

    ReplyDelete