Wednesday, April 22, 2009

No time like the present(s)

I will be the first to tell you that, while Buraimi is basically a dusty border town, it does have a few "comforts," which can be acquired at the "Ibrahim Marketing" or "Al Ain Gift Market" (which is in Buraimi, ironically, not Al Ain). These funny little five-and-dime "gift" or "marketing" stores boast a surprising array of necessities like cup-o-noodle and peanut butter, and if you can't find something, you might have better luck finding it (or some close approximation) in Al Ain.

That said, I received a little care package the other day from one of my girlfriends and bridesmaids, Elisabeth. It's suprising how much the close approximations don't seem so close when you get the real thing. I mean, TimeOut Dubai is nice, and some of the English-language mags are ok, but nothing quite stacks up to the pure silly indulgence of an UsWeekly. Not to mention KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese (hear that, Essie?), Starbucks coffee (which you can get here for about 40 Dhs, which is about 15 dollars, if you include the cab fare and ridiculous price of a latte) and several other goodies.

It's hard to communicate how much or why it matters, but something about seeing familiar writing on a box and a card and knowing that a friend had picked things out for me, to take care of me, someone who had been before where I am now, it was just as comforting as all the comfort items I received with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment