Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Adventures in the The Un-adventure

The other day Jacob and I were talking about how we're spending our time here. He refers to this time overseas as our "adventure" and most of the time I'm right on board with him, but it I had pause when he said that the other day. Yes, when we got engaged after three months of dating, got married three months later, moved abroad and then moved to another country within the next two months it seemed like a pretty big adventure, but as things have settled down here, well, it's like I told him, "I think this is the least adventurous adventure I've ever been on." He just laughed.

Give me a few minutes of inactivity and I can get bored, so the day to day of non-grueling schedules is wearing in a way. Don't get me wrong, though, for a little while it was tolerable...it can even be pretty nice. You go to a class or two a week (Jacob goes to more than I) and then you hang out with a few friends, make some dinner, watch a movie, maybe play some cards...oh, and don't forget that nearly every afternoon we indulge in a nice little nap. We have little weekend or day-trips to Dubai or Abu Dhabi for shopping or networking events and we've also been to the capitol city of Muscat.

When you're used to living a packed-full existence, though, down time can be hard to swallow. So, what do you do? Wait for the next thing or make the next thing? I guess I may have been waiting for something else to hit because, for so long, things came one after the other without much of a break. It's been a long time since I've had to work hard for a schedule, so I didn't know what to do at first, but it's getting better and having some things to really work for and look forward to, it does a body good.

So, first and foremost, I got a job! It's not the exact ideal, which would be writing fab pieces of freelancing for lots of great publications with the budgets to throw a few opportunities (this is still in the works, though!), but it's fun, I'm pretty good at it and it gets me out of the house! I'm teaching English. It's a short session right now, but I think I'll have the opportunity to extend it. It's adults, too, so it's like what I did a few years ago for the horse farms, but these students are much more advanced, which is nice. It also gives me a better appreciation for my attempts to learn Arabic! They're doing it, so can I.

Secondly, Jacob and I are anxiously anticipating a fun-filled weekend with a friend from home, Mr. Warren Rogers, visiting. We'll be seeing some of the big sights, both touristy and behind-the-scenes and I can't wait to see a friendly and familiar face and capture these events!

A couple of weeks later, Jacob and I, through the miracle of budget airlines, will be traveling to Jordan to see Petra and some other sights roundabout. I think we found the RyanAir of the gulf, PTL.

June will probably be a pretty down month, but July will be an intensive course session for me in conversational Arabic and that will all lead up to what I'm looking forward to more than anything right now: a visit home! Nearly the entire month of August will be spent split between Indy and Lex with family and friends. I can't wait and even though it's three months away, I'm already making my "bucket list" of things to do while we're there.

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand the whole packed schedule vs. down time. I am in the midst of down time here in Florida and it does get boring. I have learned it is much easier to waste time when you have a lot of it and equally as hard to get motivated to do something about it.

    Congrats on the job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great idea for you guys to keep busy non-stop for about 18 years or so...have a baby! ha! Is it bad that the main thing I recall from having just read this post is that you get to take a nap every afternoon??? Boy am I jealous! =) Sounds like you're making the most of this crazy opportunity & loving it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete