Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Anyone's grass is greener than my sand

I remember vividly days spent barricaded inside residences of Kentucky and Indiana during rainy, cold, snowing or even cloudy days that were too "unpleasant" to venture out. I pined away for visits to Venessa in California or Michelle in the Keys, I counted down until the next vacation flyaway. I scorned air conditioning until the last possible moment (much to the chagrin of my roommate and my dog). I would drive my car with the windows down in lieu of "processed air."

When winter came this year, I laughed at my fellow Lexingtonians who'd be facing months more of chilly weather. This year was one I wouldn't have to spend waiting until May for sunshine and warmth. I loved answering the question about whether I'd like living in the desert. Tropical temperatures, I thought, I'll be sunbathing on the roof after classes. I scoffed at friends and family with experience in the Middle East who told of the burdensome heat of June through August.

I was even pretty obstinate during these last few days of 90-some degree temperatures when catching a cab within a few moments was requisite, but also manageable. That was...until today. I stood outside for 20 hot, sunburned, shadeless, helpless, sweaty, desperation-inducing, taxi-less moments. To make matters worse, every single cab that passed by with a passenger was turning out of the blasted MALL. Like no one in this darn country has anything better to do than SHOP-at a stupid MALL-that they go to EVERY DAY! My temper burned up every time I saw those taxi drivers wave me off and then my feet started burning too. Up through the soles radiated all the concentrated heat of a sidewalk that would have burned an egg on contact, let alone fried it.

Then it just started to hit me. What in the world must I look like, standing there on the side of the road, this Western woman, wearing her pants and high heels, not covered, not even carrying an umbrella to shield her from the sun. I bet they were all driving by thinking I looked about as funny as I think the dudes are who dye their beards bright red with Henna and couldn't help laughing at the thought of I thinking I was weird and just then, a cab. Salvation.

Seeing as the temperatures here are settling into (a cool) 100 or so and we have nowhere to go but up, I can't even imagine how much hotter it's going to get. Even the border guard checking my passport asked me from his air conditioned booth, "Why you are walking? It's hot! You should not be walk!"

Tell me about it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I should keep any and all complaints regarding the heat to myself. Even Florida has been an adjustment, where temperature is concerned, but I can't imagine the adjustment you are enduring.

    ReplyDelete