Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lucky Number (2)7

I think I owe an explanation for the whole "27" thing. At least, why exactly I always knew 27 was going to be my year and why I, like George McFly about Lorriane, felt: "It was my density that brought me to you." I did put the whole 27 thing in the header, after all.

The credit for this particular quirk of mine, and the story behind it really belongs to my mom who coined it and without whom, I'm sure, I wouldn't even remember it. So, for this as many things: thanks mom.

The story goes that, as a child, I was always talking (in full sentences, with proper grammar and vocabulary)...and generally to adults. Those who know me are not surprised at this particular revelation (some things never change, folks), so I'll thank you all very much to just listen to the story and reserve your comments for the comments section (Aha! But it's my blog, so you have to! This is great! I could just go on for as long as I want about any old thing and you'd have to...ahem, I digress).

These unsuspecting adults upon whom my verbal outpourings were bestowed would invariably glance up, perplexed, at my mother and ask, "How old is she?" My mother (sometimes with pride, sometimes with a roll of the eyes, I'd imagine) would say, "Oh, she's three going on 27", "Seven going on 27", "12 going on 27" and so on. You can imagine how, as the years progressed, this age, this magical time, became the source of much yearning and expectation. Its mystery occupied my mind than the more common ages and their obvious trappings: 13, 16, 18, 21. I had no idea what 27 would bring, but I always knew it would be great. I had no idea.

The years ticked on, many with multiple landmarks. All the standards, plus college graduation and first career job at 21, purchase of first home at 23 and, even more, scads of wonderful friends, great memories and deepening familial relationships along the way. The waning of momentum in certain times seemed only to uniquely prepare me for the next acceleration. In some ways, 25 and 26 were tough uphill struggles, with the engine of my little rollercoaster train click-click-clicking up the last few feet of track before a big plunge.

It only occured to me late-August of this year just what was approaching. I'd been so comfortably and excitedly wrapped up in Jacob and our romance that I'd forgotten the pending landmark until it presented itself in the form of a fortune from a favorite Thai restaurant. Jacob was home for a weekend visit from South Carolina and when I cracked the cookie, I was pleased with a fortune that stated, "You will have much to be thankful for in the coming year." "Well, that's nice," I thought. "How pleasant." And then I turned it over and my lucky number was 27. Now, I am not a person who reads into talismans, fortunes or horoscopes. In fact, that fortune could apply to any of a hundred thousand people who walked into that restaurant. But it did have the lucky number 27 on the back, and I'll tell you something: I do believe in divine intervention and a master plan by a wonderfully loving God. I still have the fortune if you want to see it sometime. It's packed away in a memory box in my mom's attic.

From then on, it was my thought and renewed conviction. "This is going to be my year," I'd think and say. "27 is going to be so great." Jacob, having hatched a plot not only to get me to marry him, but also accompany him abroad, would agree , smiling and shaking his head. "Yep, 27 is going to be your year," he'd say. "You have no idea."

Being the individualistic and determinedly independent person I had become accustomed to being, it never occured to me that 27 would involve anyone's density but my own. I was wrong.

So, on September 13, he proposed, I accepted and we began the glorious task of finding a date which, as some of you know, happened to be December...that's right...27. One month ago today, I married the man of my dreams and began the crazy adventures of marriage, moving and a new life--at the perfectly ripe age of 27.

The truth is, I don't really believe in fortunes and, while density is fun, I'm not sure it finds contribution from a cookie. I am certain that I was supposed to end up where I am right now, with the person I married, and that it's a part of a plan that was set in place before I was even born by the One who created me.

Maybe the 27 part was just for fun.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story, Anne! I love it! And the talking part---yeah, that didn't surprise me...And I think I have a daughter who might just match you in that department. Her grammar is amazing! So glad to hear you're having a great time & giving credit to the Lord for it all! ~Andee

    ReplyDelete