Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Old Kentucky Home

Correction: Arabic word of the day should really be "hell-u" (sweet) instead of "hell-uah" (sweetie) despite my affinity for all things and people found at home.

Update: We've moved southward for the week to Jacob's true, my adopted, hometown of Lexington. Just as with Indy, the best thing is seeing people and we've been thrilled to get to spend so much time with Jacob's family with whom we're staying (even though one sister-in-law, who shall remain nameless but who also married an Italian, hasn't made an appearance yet).

I'm loving the weather (rainy and 70s!) and (no surprise here) the food. Nearly every day has been populated by all things Haramicana, particularly pork and alcohol.

The first afternoon I dropped Jacob off in Louisville to do a bit of work with his dad at their furniture store, The Craftsman Collection, and I made my way down to meet up with a girlfriend for lunch at an old haunt, Stella's Kentucky Deli, where I thoroughly enjoyed the signature fried green tomato B.L.T. with homemade coleslaw. From there, I ran errands (in my own car, all by myself, listening to the local NPR station, with the sunroof open - paradise!) and chatted up random friends at offices and coffee shops. I had a blissful wine-and-coffee-laced salon appointment at Brittin Tate (a fab friend and stylist, who I last saw on our wedding day while she was perfecting my coif) during which I cut off and donated 10 inches of my hair (no, not drink-induced). Company joined me during the slashing, including one sister-in-law and one good friend. I stopped by to see another friend and one thing led to another led to Mexican food, of course. It was delicious to catch up on fresh guac, taco salad and a bit of social news.

Within that paragraph is one other hidden thing that I've missed while being away: a schedule! Being busy! Having "things to do and people to see," as my mom used to say.

Other highlights include Harry's signature chopped salad (ham and fritos, hello what a combination!), a stop by the old office, Smiley Pete, and a double date over at my 'hood sushi spot, Tomo (first sushi in 7 months!), as well as after-dinner drinks at Buddy's.

In the midst of all this, Jacob's family is also returning to a newly-remodeled home after the housefire that moved them out (just one week after Jacob and I got engaged last September), so we're not the only ones living out of a suitcase! As I type, in fact, a parade of boxes is passing by. Maybe I should go help now...

Still on the docket: homemade bean soup (w/pork), beer and euchre with Jacob's family tonight, more lunches (probably to catch up at frequently-dined-at spots Wines on Vine and Bourbon n' Toulouse), girls' champagne-game night, Crosby Stills & Nash Concert, Cabin Getaway in TN...how does it get any better?

Ok, well, it does get better because the true highlight of yesterday was getting a text from BFF Sarah at about 11:30 a.m. yesterday confirming that she and her husband Travis had passed court in Ethiopia and have been approved officially to adopt their daughter and travel to pick her up. After more than two years of applications, prayers, beauracracy, patience, love and hope, Mia is getting a homecoming date. We praise the Lord for his graciousness in expanding the Taylor family and bringing their daughter one step closer to their arms. Read all about it at their blog.

2 comments:

  1. Your time in the U.S. sounds dreamy! Let me know when you'll be in Indy so we can set a date for girls' lunch, shopping, and some catch-up time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the blog! I can't even begin to tell you how exciting (and comforting) it is to know you are just a text away. And knowing you'll be in our welcoming home committee isn't bad either. Love, love, love you!

    ReplyDelete