Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gimme Some (Cultural) Lovin'

Arabic word for today: Ma'sh'allah
Meaning: Whatever God wills, or thanking God for what you have in life, not coveting things you don't, etc.

I've been trying for days to write this blog post about a guy in my class who initiated a major lecture on me regarding how I was moving toward cultural hate in my insistence on finding the "correct" spelling of a word that, it turns out, is essentially slang.

I really have. I've been working it through my head and trying to find the best way to communicate the story in a funny and concise way. It just hasn't been coming. I decided today was deadline day and sat down again to compose it.

Well, it still wasn't going on and after I'd sat here working on it and written several paragraphs of prose that looked strangely like several paragraphs of argumentative and sarcastic (one-sided) banter, I decided to give it up.

Do I think that I'm really on a matrix of cultural hate, inevitably bound on my already-begun downward slope of insisting on "proper" grammar and spelling? Well, no.

Do I think it's really helping me to steam about some one else's view of my "cultural matrix." No.

So, I'm letting it go. Maybe I'm supposed to be spending more time thinking about the good things I have around me: God, a wonderful husband, food, shelter, friends and family. Ma'sh'allah.

1 comment:

  1. Question: was the lecture "on" you...as in, to other people??? Or, "to" you, personally? "To" you might be marginally acceptable "on" you is totally unacceptable and seems to tilt a bit towards hate in itself. M

    ReplyDelete