Monday, December 7, 2009

Inventory

thehardyheyday.blogspot.com

Part of our leaving here is the dreaded...packing. This is a special kind of packing, though, one that falls just out of the difficulty of packing everything (we only have four suitcases) and just past the ease of short trip (WE ONLY HAVE FOUR SUITCASES!). This week, while Jacob labors in his last week of lessons, I volunteered to stay home and finish the detail things to get us ready to go so that our evenings can be spent alternately on time with friends or job searching.

So, in a flash I'm taken back to this time last year, when another frantic pack-a-thon was in progress, but one that involved nearly four years of accumulated stuff, from clothes (yes, I have to admit it, my clothes were in my dresser, my closet, the dining room closet and the guest room/office closet) to inherited furniture, the robot vaccum (bought to clean up after the puppy) to the dog himself - all while a For Sale sign hovered over the front yard like my mom all those times I refused to clean my room for weeks on end.

The rest of the story, as you may know, is that the clothes got packed or thrown out (lots of things thrown out, thank goodness, but what to wear when we get home?), furniture placed in foster care or storage, vaccum junked and dog relocated to mom's house. My sister-in-law and her girlfriends now occupy the little house in Chevy Chase and Jacob and I took up residence in one of several abodes, the last of which being this little flat in Buraimi.

And now we leave.

We'll leave the things I put in the sale/giveaway list: things like pots, pans, dishes, basil plant, coffee maker, ginkgo leaves and all the toy prizes from all those Kinder Suprise Eggs. We'll bring home souveniers, gifts and whatever posessions make the cut...but what else?

Lots of memories...of our trips and experiences, but also lots of friends!

1 comment:

  1. can you believe it has been a whole year! I can not believe it, a lot has happened. But, in the whole scheme of things times has flown by once again.

    ReplyDelete